Local Historical Sites
Arch Creek Mill
NORTH MIAMI Ye Old Wagon Wheel RESTAURANT 1950s FL
MIAMI AVIATION CENTER 127Th & Bisc. Blvd. North Miami, Fla
"The Voyager Motel - Biscayne Blvd., at 123rd Street"
The M&M Restaurant was at the old 163 Street Mall. Looking at the front of the Mall there was the kiddy amusement Park in the middle of the shopping center. the M&M Restaurant was the first building on the left.
The Painted Horse Restaurant, 11495 Biscayne Boulevard.
The Red Mill Tourist Camp
was located at
NE 137 Street and Biscayne Boulevard
1925 - the Sunny Isles Casino
1960 - Artist's rendition of the proposed
Wometco 163rd Street Theatres, 1245 NE 163 Street, Miami
1947 - Sunny Isles Causeway over the inland waterway
163St. Looking at Sunny Isles 1950'S
Barry College 1956
Cecil Holland Ford 163St & W. Dixie Hwy
Bottle Cap Inn
Joe Wiser's Bottle Cap Inn in Miami was featured in Ripley's Believe It Or
Arch Creek Park
Arch Creek, and the area surrounding it, was one of six Tequesta
Indian occupation sites built along Dade County estutaries. The
Tequestas established other campsites at the Oleta River, Surfside,
Little River, the Miami River, and Snapper Creek. Arch Creek,
however, was unique. It had a natural limestone bridge spanning 60 feet,
from which the Indians could fish and which provided a raised, dry highway to
During the early 1800's the natural bridge was part of the only passable connection between Ft. Dallas in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, in what is now Broward County. It served a valuable function in the Seminole Indian Wars, and formed part of the Capron Trail (also known as Military Trail). By the late 1800's a few more people had settled around Arch Creek. Many of these settlers came from Elmira, New York to homestead the rich land and take advantage of the tropical climate. They began the city known as North Miami, and were primarily an agricultural community, growing and exporting thousands of crates of tomatoes and pineapples each year. When the railroad was built part of it ran alongside Arch Creek for some sections. The Arch Creek Depot opened in 1903, followed soon by a post office and a school.
A refreshment stand, which also dispensed souvenirs and postcards, stood at the north end of the bridge for many years. It was plastered with conch shells, and called "the shellhouse" by the locals. By 1920, Arch Creek had a population of 307. During the land boom, 400 acres in the area sold for $33,000,000 in just two and one half hours. The money was reportedly carried to a bank in wooden barrels (Muir, 1953).
For the next thirty years, Arch Creek continued to grow and develop. In 1952 it was incorporated into the City of North Miami. During the 1950's, it was the home of the Sea Breeze Trailer Park. The tall oaks sheltered almost a hundred trailers near what is now N.E. 135th Street.
In 1957, the first of many threats against the future of the natural
bridge materialized. The bridge was endangered by a plan to drain low lying
areas as part of a flood prevention program. The Army Corps of Engineers
wanted to blow up the bridge, or re-route the creek. A 1957
newspaper article announced that "the bridge must be sacrificed for better
drainage of the area". Fortunately, protests from members of the local
Audubon Society, the Historical Association of Southern Florida and
the Dade Conservation Council prevented any of this destructive action.
In 1978 Dade County leased the land from the State of Florida and began making plans to turn it into a passive recreation facility. Clean-up crews appeared, and construction started on a small museum and nature study center. A nature trail was constructed in the hammock area by the Youth Conservation Corps. In addition, they planted over 500 trees. The Arch Creek Park was formally dedicated on April 25, 1982. Today, Arch Creek is an eight-acre site at the junction of N.E. 135th Street and Biscayne Boulevard, and offers many opportunities for botanical, historical and archaelogical study. It has a museum/nature center modeled after an early Florida pioneer home, displaying Indian artifacts dug from the grounds, and live animals from the nearby hammock. Remains of the original coontie mill are still visible across the creek, and the Park exists as the only preserved archaeological site in the County.
This matchbook was from the Pier Deck Bar, located at 16701 Collins Avenue.
The Sunny Isles Resort Motel, formerly located at 16525 Collins Avenue, provided very affordable rates in 1958!
St. Claires Restaurant was located in the shopping plaza at NE 127 Street and Biscayne Boulevard. This photo, taken in the 1950s, shows both the interior and exterior. As of early 2007, the building was operating as a gym called "US1 Fitness." However, it is soon scheduled for demolition as part of Publix' expansion.
There was Publix's and on the left was Bell's and left of that was Woolworths and on the Corner was Claires. then the Alley way to the North Miami Hospital and then the S&H Greenstamp Store. 30 years ago I cashed a two party check at the Publix, try that today.
This hotel located at 12237 West Dixie Highway
is now an assisted-living facility.
Red Feather Farms 14036 NE 6 Ave
Myers Apartments 1525 N.E. 129 Street
Biscayne Kennel Club
Miami Beach Kennel Club
Miami Beach Kennel Club Aerial View
1951 shows both the old A1A bridge and the new Herman B. Fultz Bridge that was built further inland
This bath house was located where the Howard Johnsons is on 163St and Collins ave. in 1912
Voyager Congress Inn.
Old Bridge and Trailer Park at Haulover
Miami Beach Halouver Bridge 1958
Hotel Alabama 1911
A picture just as the facility opened in 1956.
Cold War era Air Raid Signal on top North Miami High
Early Civil Defense Sign
Pioneer Blvd Sign
Aerial photo of Keystone Point - April 1968
North Miami Pony Ranch on 135 Street and NE 16 Avenue - 1974
Weigel's Resort Motel-North Miami
Pumperniks Upper Left 125 Street & Biscayne Blvd.
The Rancher Motel 1956
Bottle Cap Inn
Peoples National Bank 125 Street NE 10 Avenue
North Miami General Hospital
Old City Hall
Munisport Landfill 1978
Early Police Car
Early Police Department and Officers
Early Police Officers