The Greater North Miami Historical Society

 

Home
Pictures
Documents
Time Line
Board of Directors
Contact Us
Local Historical Sites
Local Places
Membership Application Form
North Miami Map
President
Time Line

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

City History Brief


THE EVENTS OF 1931

Seven miles of Atlantic Oceanfront beachland property from the Broward County line southward to Surfside were removed from the town limits as a result of a 1931 Florida Supreme Court decision. The 1926 hurricane ended plans for a causeway to deliver municipal services to that area of town. With no services being received, the beach area instituted a lengthy court lawsuit to separate and form their own community.

The wealthy Shoreland Company, located to the south of the Town, lobbied the 1931 Florida Legislature to officially grant their huge development the name "Village of Miami Shores". The Legislature did so! It also passed an official act abolishing "Town of Miami Shores" as a name. The next step was for the local population to choose a new name. The municipality was renamed The Town of North of North Miami.

THE QUIET 1930íS

During the Depression years, in 1933, Mrs. Cecille Sevier and Mrs. Ella S. Klefeker became the first two women elected to the Town Council. The 1940ís census stated that 1,973 inhabitants lived in the "Town of North Miami".

POST WORLD WAR II GROWTH

At the end of World War II in 1945, the large and constant influx of former military veterans and their young families changed the face of North Miami by ushering in a great growth period. Homebuilding, roadbuilding, shops, stores, and office business construction now continued for decades almost without stopping. By 1951 it was reported nationally that North Miami was one of the fastest growing towns in the United States. [Recently it reached a population of 50,000.]

Partially to meet this challenge of fast growth, the voters of North Miami in 1952 voted to adopt a new charter and a new name. The new charter, enacted as an official statute of the Florida Legislature on May 27, 1953 provided for the establishment of a full-time administrative head [City Manager form of government] to carry out the policies of the elected Mayor / Council . The new and present name officially introduced on this date ---the CITY OF NORTH MIAMI.